- Introduction and project overview
- Roll and form the flat and curved version of the body and dry.
- Roll and form the flat and curved version of the Elytra and dry.
- Creating a back for the curved body, making a bezel for the flat body.
- Make 2 sets of wings.
- Reviewing of the previous steps
- Discussing the pros and cons of “Refining as you go” versus “Refining at the end”.
- Attach the bezel to the flat body
- Discuss leg design and placement on the body
- Create the legs for both body versions and let dry
- Attach the legs to the bodies
- Review the previous day’s steps
- Create the bodies. Attach together and dry
- Assembling and reinforcing the bug
- Review the firing schedule and how best to support the piece
- Fire the completed piece
- Finishing touches, adding jump rigs, and chains.
- Bonus class: How to create the rivets for the wings
- Bonus class: Using silly putty to clean and test textures
- Bonus item: Materials list
Open Facebook Group to students of this course:
Curious Mondo: Bugs in Metal Clay
Basic / Intermediate / Advanced
Jewelry makers, people interested in precious metal clay
Learn how to create a piece of kinetic jewelry in metal clay