- 9+ Video lessons in HD
- Exclusive bonus content
- 30-day access to instructor
- Over 6 hours of in-depth instructions
- Lifetime access, anywhere, anytime
- Available on desktop, mobile and tablet
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Captions available in English, Portuguese, Dutch, German, Spanish, French and Swedish
What you will learn:
- Collect Your Supplies
- Choose Your Jacket
- Carefully Inspect Your Jacket
- Launder, Dry, and Iron Your Jacket
- Plan Your Theme & Design
- Lay Our Your Components and Take a Photo
- Compile Your Source Materials
- Paint Your Background
- Paint Your Subject
- Heat Set Your Painting with a Hot Iron
- Apply Gloss or Matte Medium or Varnish (Optional)
- Glue On Any Trims, Lace, etc. with Fabric Glue
- Add Reinforcing Stitching to Glued Trims
- Glue and / or Stitch On Any Beads, Jewelry, etc.
- Apply Any Letters
- Finish Off the Stitches Inside the Jacket
- Add Your Own Unique Label to Identify Your Work!
- Finishing touches!
- Supplies list
- Sourcing Upcyclable Materials
- Styling Your Art Jacket
- Integrating Your Art Jacket Design
About the course
- View used garments and other fabric remnants as raw materials for crafting imaginative, upcycled, wearable works of art.
- Understand the environmental, cultural, and societal impact of choosing to upcycle garments and supporting the “slow fashion” movement as an alternative to fueling the “fast fashion” industry.
- Choose a denim jacket from your closet or a from a charity shop that you will transform into an amazing, one-of-a-kind Upcycled Art Jacket.
- Familiarize yourself with a variety of options for sourcing upcyclable garments for use as materials for your Art Jacket project.
- Make yourself aware of the qualities that make a garment a good - or bad - candidate for being upcycled into an Art Jacket.
- Choose a portrait subject that is meaningful to you and that will serve as the centerpiece of your design.
- Create a cohesive theme and design, incorporating fabrics and trims that reflect the significance and symbolism or your portrait subject, whether historical or fictional.
- Become familiar with various techniques for applying acrylic paint to denim, as well as techniques that will ensure that the paint that you have applied will stand the test of time.
- Adorn your chosen jacket with your portrait subject using acrylic paints.
- Learn a variety of acrylic painting techniques for creating beautiful facial features for your portrait subject.
- Embellish the portrait that you have created with trims, reclaimed garment remnants, notions, beads, crystals, and any other types of adornments that you choose.
- Familiarize yourself with methods and materials that will allow you to adhere your embellishments securely.
- Focus not only on the creative design of your Upcycled Art Jacket, but also on quality construction and craftsmanship.
- Design and craft a garment that is artistically exceptional as well as practically wearable.
- Integrate the design that you have created for the back of your jacket to the front and sleeves of your jacket, thereby creating a completely cohesive garment design.
- Care for and store your wearable art piece appropriately, treating your Upcycled Art Jacket as the original art that it is.
- Style your new creation by combining it with outfits that complement, but do not upstage your Upcycled Art Jacket.
Open Facebook Group to students of this course:
Curious Mondo: How to Make Art Jackets
Basic / Intermediate / Advanced
Learn how to make One-of-a-Kind, Lovingly Crafted, Hand Painted, Upcycled Garments
About the instructor
Throughout my entire life, there are two roles that have always been a natural ﬁt for me: that of an artist and that of a teacher.
Over the course of my adult life, I have enjoyed working as an Artist, a Teacher of English as a Foreign Language, and for the past ﬁfteen years, as a full time Massage Therapist. I have always felt that I learn AT LEAST as much from my students & clients as they learn from me. I love visiting, chatting, learning about other folks' lives and desires, and oﬀering resources to the people I encounter to help them achieve their own unique goals.
Crafting has been a type of sanity-saving therapy for me for as long as I can remember. From drawing, crafting, and making as a child in hospital rooms during my Daddy's battle with cancer and subsequent death, to creating a "Chemo Coloring Book" during my own cancer battle in 2017, creating has always been my salvation.
Most recently, after all Massage Therapy practices in my state were mandated to close due to the social distancing requirements necessitated by COVID-19, I have turned to my crafting talents to try to not only calm my nerves and salvage my sanity, but also to replace my livelihood.
I think that there are few sororities that are more dedicated to camaraderie than that of crafters. Crafters almost invariably treasure not just the personal fulﬁllment of creating, but also the joy of sharing techniques, tricks, tips, and ideas with their fellow craft enthusiasts. I love the spirit and vision of Curious Mondo because ultimately it exists to spark ideas, inspire creativity, and proliferate artistic expression.