*This live and free course is available for free only during the live broadcast, and it does not include bonus materials such as supplies list, additional tools and resources, access to the bonus classes, etc.
About the course
This workshop will get you started on your way to understanding more about the vast world of natural dyes. In this class we will go over mordants and different types of fiber, how we may get different results from each one.We will be focusing on silk fabric but mordants for cotton will be covered. We will learn about different dye materials used throughout history and the different results they may produce. I will be covering 3 different ways to bundle fabric for different and interesting results. We will discuss different dyestuff and how to investigate for potential of dyestuff by creating a little test swatch. We will cover digging into your very own back yard for dye material and what to look for to dig deeper into what you may even have in your very own yard that could dye cloth. I hope you will take this Natural Dye journey with me.
In this course you will learn:
- Brief Natural Dye History
- Mordant and how they work, we will be using Alum and Iron in the workshop.
- Scouring cloth to prepare for the dye process.
- Types of fiber and benefits of each one in a dye pot.
- Basic Natural dye set up, pots, materials scale for weighing fiber and mordants/dyestuff and general safety rules.
- ...and more!
Our Projects we will work on for the workshop:
- One silk scarf dyed with natural extracts using Alum as a Mordant
- One silk hankie with local plants and Alum and Iron Pot As Mordant
- Jar Testing for dye potential
- How to catalog or journal your unique experiments
- Tips for sourcing and finishing fabric for garments.
*This live and free course is available for free only during the live broadcast, and it does not include bonus materials such as supplies list, additional tools and resources, access to the bonus classes, etc. These perks are only available in the paid version of the course.